Why and When to use Shopify
Shopify is a hosted cloud ecommerce platform (SAAS solution) that offers a powerful feature set, reliable hosting, and the ability to customize and control the functionality, content and look of your online stores. The Shopify platform is designed to be scalable (it’ll grow with your business), allows you to sell across a number of other channels (Amazon, eBay, Facebook, and Instagram), supports multiple languages, has a POS integration, and integrates with drop shippers. There’s also a very active developer community, developing many apps (extensions).
Shopify is ideal for most online stores, from small stores to extremely large ones with thousands of products.
- Easy to administer, even for non-technical users.
- Reliable and scalable hosting, ensuring your site remains up and running, even when it gets bombarded by large spikes in users.
- Lots of out-of-the-box features including multi-language support, multiple currency support, flexible coupon & discount options, analytics, reporting and much more.
- Highly customizable, both the appearance and functionality. There are many apps (extensions) are available which can extend your store’s functionality.
- Integrated POS system available.
- Drop shipping integrations available.
- CMS and blogging functionality, so that you can manage your entire site easily from one platform.
- Ability to sell across a number of other channels (Amazon, eBay, Facebook, and Instagram) or add buy now buttons to any site or blog post.
- Is kept updated and security patches are applied automatically, reducing your maintenance costs.
- Reporting is limited on lower plans.
- No multi-storefront option.
- Shopify charges a transaction fee on every sale (between 0.5% and 2.0%), if you don’t use their payment gateway. However, if you use the Shopify Payments gateway, you just pay pretty standard transaction rates (their rates are competitive).
- Not as flexible as a non-SAAS solution, such as Magento, and may limit the ability to integrate with 3rd party solutions.
- Cloud hosted solution.